• Home
  • Lifestyle & Classroom Blog
  • Teachers Pay Teachers
  • T-shirt Design & More
  • All About Tchr888
  • Contact

TCHR888

Live, Love, Teach

Phonics, Rhymes, & Sounds

October 24, 2014

Share
Tweet
Pin
Share
Share
0 Shares

I can’t believe I have time to blog during the week! Well the TRUTH is, my hubby and kids are watching the Bronco, Chargers #football game…. (hip-hip-hooray! Yeah, Go Chargers!) And GUESS WHAT??? I’m not your biggest football fan, I’d rather be doing other stuff… like blogging or anything but sit there and watch a game…. bleh! Great opportunity or excuse for me to be in front of the computer blogging away (now this is HIP-HIP-HOORAY!! for me!! Yeah, Go Blogging!!!).

So tonight I want to give you a view of what my morning routine looks like in my classroom and share some ideas about our center routines with you. First, I’m a firm believer that every student/child, needs a strong foundation in phonemic and phonological awareness. These foundations and skills give all students the strategies necessary to decode, chunk, segment, blend, isolate, and discriminate sounds and text during reading and eventually become great readers. Comprehension and fluency strategies are secondary to these skills and are usually developed by the end of first grade beginning of second grade, although it is possible by the end of kindergarten.

We begin our “Letter of the Week” centers every morning at 8:15 and run to 9:50. The first 6 weeks of school, I front load the students with all of the alphabet all at once and they do tub and play activities to get them used to or routines and procedures and get us ready for learning. These centers usually revolve around, letter matching on alphabet charts, tracing and cutting practice, coloring (a lot of coloring), puzzles, and abcmouce.com on the computers.
During this time I also begin to introducing more specific skill aligned centers that revolve around phonemic and phonological awareness, by the 7th – 9th week of school we are working independently and with some guidance.

I have 5 center rotations that are 12 minutes long and I’m included in that rotation. I introduce the centers whole group on the carpet by telling the students “Today we will learn about letters. Letters have to important parts that we need to know and understand in order to become good readers and writers. They are letter names and letter sounds.”
We then sing 3 different alphabet songs, then I model and explain what their centers will be and look like. And here they go:

1. Letter Concept Map     

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Phonics-Letter-Activities-1783938

This center revolves around initial sounds concept maps. Remember how the first 6 weeks of school I have tub/play centers? Well, during that time for a whole week, I do mini lessons on what the “independent” centers will eventually become. I teach, model, explain, scaffold, and then release them for practice and set clear expectations on how and what they are suppose to look like to work independently. A total of 5 centers that rotate every 10- 12 minutes. As they get used to them, I extend the time to a max of 18 – 20 minute rotations by the end of the year. 

2. Interactive Journal Letter Matching





         
Once again for a whole week, I work with them at this center. I teach them how to take out and put away their interactive journals. How to take turns taking them out and putting them away. How we actually use them, what the sections are for, and how we find the “next clean page.” We color things that are not suppose to be cut off in RED, because RED means STOP, and they have a visual cue for it. Then we trace all the areas we are suppose to cut around and over in GREEN because GREEN means Go. Other wise kids will cut around every black line they see ( I learned the hard way.) To learn more about my interactive journals click HERE. 






3. Letter Sorting and Tracing 


https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Phonics-Letter-Activities-1783938
This one is a student favorite! Students pretty much lead this one on their own and help each other out. They work in pairs or as group and teach each other letter names and letter sounds. I have 6 different letter sorting mats for uppercase and lowercase letters. I intentionally group students heterogeneously, high, lows, and mid’s together for this sole reason. Student Collaboration at its best. This center eventually will become a build cvc words center.



4. ABCMOUSE.COM 


 



Another student favorite and teacher favorite. This educational website is free for TEACHERS, and has tons of activities that re-enforce phonemic and phonological awareness skills, sight words, reading, number sense, shapes, science, social studies, and printables, you name it, it’s there.  Not to mention the mouse tutor it has. It literally teaches your child how to use a mouse and computer! This website HAS IT ALL!! If you want to set up your classroom click HERE.  Because it has so many resources, I can actually create lessons, that go right in line with what I’m teaching in class. Once again for a whole week, I spend my time at this center, showing and teaching students how to find their Avatar, how  to “change user” and how to find their lessons. It is so WONDERFUL, I can  EVEN DIFFERENTIATE activities based on STUDENT NEED!!



5. Small Group Instruction

Finally me, During this time I do “RTI” or Conceptual Refinement. For 10 -12 minutes, I give students direct instruction on a daily basis. This is the time where I scaffold, differentiate (at the content level,) assess, teach, challenge, and get a real picture of where they are at. I get to know them, know and understand their needs, and what I need to do different. This is also the place where we learn all about rhyming, syllables, ISF, FSF, MSF, on-set rimes… Next week I will be devoting a whole blog post just to this part. I will include a lesson plan, sample activities, and “how to list” Here is a sneak peak…  
 
Good night everyone! Leave a comment or question below! 🙂 






Share
Tweet
Pin
Share
Share
0 Shares

Filed Under: alphabet, kindergarten activities, kindergarten center ideas, letter recognition, letter sounds, phonemics awareness, phonics, syllables, Uncategorized Leave a Comment

« Fall Break is Here and Bats are REAL!
Teaching Letters & Sounds (small group instruction) »

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Grab A Button

Grab A Button

Search

Categories

Latest Products

Latest on Instagram

🎠 Fall can’t begin without a date night to the fai 🎠 Fall can’t begin without a date night to the fair ✨

📸 @joannaitzellephotography ✨💖 love her creativity in this photoshoot! ❣️

#lavida #maestrasdeinstagram #teachersofinstagram #lifeisbeautiful
🎟️ Because You’re never to old to flirt and be rom 🎟️ Because You’re never to old to flirt and be romantic. 

📸: @joannaitzellephotography ✨💕 

#life #lifeisbeautiful #teacher #teacherlife
🎡2026 - SNMSFR 📸: @joannaitzellephotography 💖✨ 🎡2026 - SNMSFR 

📸: @joannaitzellephotography 💖✨
My (Our) Flex ❤️ Proud Sister Moment: Being daugh My (Our) Flex ❤️

Proud Sister Moment: Being daughters and granddaughters of immigrants, first-generation, and changing the world through how we serve others and now instilling those same values and passing them down to our own sons and daughters. ❤️

Our parents and grandparents instilled in us integrity, self-respect, dignity, and respect for others. These are the values that shaped who we are and the ones we hope our sons and daughters will carry forward.

With that being said, I want to congratulate my sister on her recent promotion to Sergeant First Class (SFC/E7), Unit Readiness NCO! 🇺🇸

Sigue adelante, y éxito en todo lo que hagas! Congratulations, Sis! So proud of you, and thank you for serving our country! 🇺🇸❤️ Matthew 6:33 

#daughtersofimmigrants #firstgen #latina #mujer #hispanicheritagemonth
One thing about me is that I believe in keeping my One thing about me is that I believe in keeping my community informed, especially when changes can directly impact New Mexico families. That’s why I’m partnering with the @nm_hca 💛

Federal changes to Medicaid are coming, and there are a few important dates to know:

🩵 October 1, 2026: Some lawfully present immigrants may be affected by changes to Medicaid eligibility.

📬 December 31, 2026: Most adults will begin having their Medicaid eligibility reviewed every 6 months.

✅ January 1, 2027: New identity and residency checks begin, and some adults ages 19–64 may need to report at least 80 hours each month of qualifying work or volunteer activity. Some people may qualify for exemptions, so be sure to ask HCA what applies to you.

There are things you can do NOW: make sure your mailing address is up to date, watch for your turquoise renewal letter, complete your renewal on time, and ask questions if you’re unsure.

Please don’t wait until these changes begin to get informed. ❤️ Share this with someone who may need it.

Learn more at hca.nm.gov/medicaidchanges (the link is in my bio) or call 1-800-283-4465.

@nm_hca
#KeepYourBenefitsNM
Science is the perfect place to let language come Science is the perfect place to let language come alive. 🔬✨

For multilingual learners, hands-on experiences give students something meaningful to talk, read, and write about.

💡 Dual Language Tip: Build the experience first, then build the academic language. Let students observe, discuss, gesture, draw, and use both languages to make sense of the concept before expecting a formal response.

When students understand the science, the language has somewhere to stick. 💛

#DualLanguage #MultilingualLearners #ScienceLearning #biliteracy #maestrasdeinstagram
📚✨ There’s just something magical about a good rea 📚✨ There’s just something magical about a good read aloud!

Especially in third grade. Read alouds are SO important and one of my absolute favorite parts of teaching. ❤️ I love watching my students get completely pulled into a story, make connections, laugh together, predict what’s coming next, and beg me to read “just one more chapter!”

Read alouds build vocabulary, comprehension, curiosity, and a love for reading, but more than that, they create some of the sweetest moments of my classroom community. 💛

Third graders are NEVER too old to be read to, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, this part of teaching! 

Are you a read aloud fan in upper grades? 📚

#ThirdGrade #ReadAloud #maestrasdeinstagram #reading #TeacherLife
P.S. The new school year is the real beginning of P.S. The new school year is the real beginning of my new year. My years begin in August, not in January. 
✏️ It’s a new chapter for me, my family and my professional work. New year, new goals, new class, new routines. 📓📚🎆 

Then wrapped up my day with my favorite cookies from @cookie_bliss10 👌🏼Actually, the best! 🫶🏼

#maestrasdeinstagram #teacher #teachersofinstagram #teachergram
Mexico 🇲🇽 vs South Korea 🇰🇷 #fifaworldcup2026 #ma Mexico 🇲🇽 vs South Korea 🇰🇷 
#fifaworldcup2026 #maestrasdeinstagram #teacher #teachergram
Follow on Instagram

Latest on Facebook

This message is only visible to admins.
Problem displaying Facebook posts. Backup cache in use.
Click to show error
Error: The user must be an administrator, editor, or moderator of the page in order to impersonate it. If the page business requires Two Factor Authentication, the user also needs to enable Two Factor Authentication. Type: OAuthException

Copyright © 2026 · Website Design By Jumping Jax Designs