Finding ways for your family to stay active is important for keeping everyone happy while you’re stuck at home under coronavirus lockdown. Even if the gyms are closed and your local playgrounds are off-limits, you and your kids can still burn off some energy at home with the help of some simple equipment and exercise ideas. Whatever your budget or available space, check out the following physical activity tips to help you get moving!
Building a Home Gym
Have you always wanted a home gym? There’s no better time to build one! When the pandemic is over, you will still get incredible value out of your home workout space.
- Building a home gym will save you money on gym memberships and transportation expenses.
- Budget for your home gym by researching the costs of gear and equipment. For example, rubber flooringaverages $10 per square foot including installation.
- Take the time to research exercise bikes, elliptical machines, and treadmills before investing in these pricey pieces of equipment.
- If you’re on a budget, stick with just a few fundamental fitness items. You can do a lot with adjustable dumbbells, exercise bands, a jump rope, and a stability ball.
No-Equipment Workouts for Small Spaces
While a home gym might not fit into an apartment or basement suite, you can still exercise at home with the right workout ideas.
- Bodyweight circuit training is a great way to build muscle and burn calories, especially if you’re a beginner.
- Take a look around for household items that can double as workout equipment, such as milk jugs and heavy containers of laundry detergent.
- If you have stairs in your home, you can use them for beginner and advanced high-intensity interval training (HIIT).
Mindfulness-Based Exercise to Relieve Stress
This is a stressful time for everyone. Be sure to incorporate some mindfulness-based exercises into your fitness routine to control stress and relieve tension.
- Make the most of your workouts by maintaining an awareness of your form and focusing on the rhythm of your breath.
- Both kids and adults can benefit from a relaxing yoga routine to calm the body and mind.
- Head out for a walk or run in a nearby forest. As long as you can practice physical distancing, spending some time in nature will be great for your mental health.
Family-Friendly Workouts and Activity Ideas
If your kids are home from school, you’ve likely assumed the role of their teachers to provide structure and encourage learning. Don’t forget to make up for those missed gym classes!
- Take advantage of free, kid-friendly exercise classes available online through fitness studios and popular YouTube channels.
- Encourage your kids to join you for a workout!
- From scavenger hunts to obstacle courses, kids can spend hours playing active games in the backyard.
- When you’re stuck inside, put on some upbeat music and have a dance party in your living room.
Regular exercise is vital to our health and well-being. If you and your kids are struggling to meet daily activity requirements while you’re in lockdown, it’s time to get creative! Build an at-home gym, use household items as equipment, and take advantage of your backyard. Your family should come out of quarantine feeling better than ever!
This post was written by a Special Guest Contributor,
Fitkids.info | firstname.lastname@example.org